of the Norwegian Lutheran Memorial Church in ChicagoOur Church is widely acclaimed for its architectural beauty, both inside and outside. It traces its origin to ten Norwegian immigrants, who met on June 29, 1905, in a private home in the strongly Norwegian neighborhood of Logan Square, on the initiative of Pastor Johan B. Meyer, a onetime deep-sea sailer, born in Helgeland, Norway. The corner stone for the Norwegian Lutheran Memorial Church was laid in 1908. The building was completed in 1912.
The structure is similar to Bragernes Kirke in Drammen, Norway, one of Oslo's modern suburbs. The architect was Charles F. Sorensen and the mason S.N. Nelson. The structure is typical of Protestant adaptions of Gothic design.
The first Congregation used the name Kristuskirken--Christ Church. This congregation had a tough time keeping the church open during the Great Depression. It had to close down in 1928. It became known as Minnekirken when the forebears of the present Congregation took over the Church building in 1932. The first pastor that started the church thought it was a shame to have the church laid up, so he decided to come back and open its doors again. The church reopened in 1934.
Stained glass windows enhance the beauty of Minnekirken's sanctuary.
Minnekirken, the Norwegian Lutheran Memorial Church is a member of the Norwegian National League